When it comes to the entertainment industry, Africans are now taking the lead by displaying that they are multi-talented and can act in both the music and the movie industry. In Nigeria for example, the likes of Banky W, Falz, Phyno, etc are currently making it big in the entertainment industry via both music and movie roles.
It is worthy of note that Nigeria Movie Industry popularly known as Nollywood is a gold mine and as well as an avenue to make a lot of money because the Nigeria Movie Industry produces not less than fifty movies weekly which is much more than that of America Movie industry and even India’s Bollywood. It is also estimated that the Nigeria Movie Industry generates $590 million annually and if properly managed can grow beyond its current income and even the world bank is currently assisting the Nigerian government to create a Growth and Employment in States project to support the entertainment industry.
With the above stated, it’s evident and glaring why Nigerian musicians are penetrating into its movie industry, although Nigeria’s music revenue grew from 26 million U.S. dollars in 2014 to 34 million U.S. dollars in 2018, and by 2023 the revenue is expected to amount to 44 million U.S. dollars. And then by combining both revenue we should be expecting to have some of our home breed musicians on the Forbes world richest men in 2023 – just kidding!
Meanwhile, reverse is the case for those in the movie industry who are interchanging or swapping into the music industry in Nigeria because the music industry seem to be harder for them to cope with with all its stress and all, only a very few from the movie industry have succeeded in the music zone, the likes of Tonto Dikeh who came into the music industry with Sugar Rush, Oti Ya, whyteelee and Get High; nothing has been heard of her of recent, also some popular yoruba Movie Actors in the likes of Funke Akindele x Eniola Badmus x Chioma Akpotha x Bimbo Thomas as currently released a rap song titled Askamaya anthem in accordance with their anticipated movie of 2020 Omo Ghetto The Saga, we are not expected to hear any more of song or even music videos from them after this.
With that being said, let get into the main topic of discussion, Popular Nigeria musicians who has featured in nollywood movies
- (Psquare) Peter Okoye: The Peter Okoye of Psquare although now fallen apart with each bearing different stage names is one of the most successful artists in the Nigerian music industry, he was featured in the popular movie titled ‘Lions Heart.” also featured Genevive Nnaji, Nkem Owoh, Kanayo O Kanayo and the popular Pete Edochie.
- (Chibuzo Azubuike) Phyno: Phyno also featured in the popular Lions Heart Movie alongside the above mentioned as a brother to Genevive Nnaji and a son to Pete Edochie, and one of his single Obiagu was also played in the movie, the song was taken off his album The Playmaker Album
- (Folarin Falana) Falz: Falz made his Nollywood breakout in a movie titled A Couple of Days where he acted alongside other Nollywood stars like Adesua Etomi, and Kiki Omeili. he further took his acting further by featuring as the male lead in Funke Akindele’s series, Jenifa’s Diaries, he has also acted in several other movie like Merry Men when he acted alongside Ramsey Noah, Basket Mouth and Jim Iyke as a Hacker.
- (OluBankole Wellington) Banky W: Banky W started out in the Movie industry as “Dozie” in the romance comedy movie titled wedding party where he acted alongside his current wife Adesuwa and also featured in the movie are actors by the name Sola Sobowale, Ireti Doyle , he also featured in the “Wedding Party 2“, Up North and Sugar Rush
- Chidinma Ekile (Chidinma): Popularly known as Chidinma broke into the movie industry by featuring in one of the popular Kunle Afolayan Movie titled “The Bride” as Stella, although she hasn’t given any more shot at acting after the movie.
- Ikechukwu Onunaku (Ikechukwu): Ikechukwu which also doubles as his stage name graduated from a movie academy and went into the movie industry, he was featured in a movie titled Gbomo Gbomo Express alongside others like Osas Ajibade and Okolie, Gbenro.
- Tiwatope Savage (Tiwa Savage): Tiwa savage was no doubt a good actor judging from her character play on most of her music videos, she will make a fine movie actor, the former Mavins Records lady had her first shot in the movie industry when she was featured in the movie series titled Shuga, she played the role of Sade a Badoo Tree Nightclub owner and guardian to an HIV patient.
- Remilekun Abdulkalid Safaru (Reminisce): Popularly known as Alaga Ibile was featured in one of Nigeria’s popular movies titled King of Boys, King of Boys is a 2018 Nigerian crime political thriller film written, co-produced and directed by Kemi Adetiba. It is the second movie directed by Kemi Adetiba following the release of The Wedding Party.
- Olanrewaju David Ogunmefun (Vector): Popularly known by his stage name Vector is a famous Nigerian Hip-Hop rapper, songwriter, stage performer and a recording artist who made his first appearance in the movie industry in a movie titled “June,”which stared him alongside some popular nollywood actors like Uche Jomboand Chinyere Winfred.
- Innocent Ujah Idibia (2baba): 2 Face Idibia, now popularly known as 2baba, a living legend as popularly stared by some of his hardcore followers, born on born on 18 September 1975 was also not left out on the list of musicians who have also acted in the nollywood industry, 2 baba made his first appearance in the then popular musical-movie titled Make a Move which was Produced by Ivie Okujaye, the movie also starred Majid Michel, Beverly Naya, Wale Adebayo and Tina Mba.
- Omawumi Megbele (Omawumi): Omawumi Megbele acted alongside alongside Majid Michel, Yvonne Nelson, Eddie Watson and Francis Odega in the 2013 movie titled Heart of Gold, she was also featured in the 2 face Idibia musical-movie i mentioned above, and also ‘Make a move’ in 2014.
- David Adedeji Adeleke (Davido): The American-Nigerian born Award winning singer had also had a fair share of his career in the Nigeria movie industry when he was featured in a movie titled John Zerebe alongside were actors like Ikey Ojeogwu, Kanfui Danku, Mimi Orjiekwe and Gloria Young.
Aside the above mentioned Artistes, other popular Nigerian Singers have also had their fair share of their debut in the movie industry in the likes of Sean Tizzle who appeared in a movie titled Astray, Ice prince – Heart of Gold, Cynthia Morgan – The Wrong Number, Iyanya – Superstar, Chike – Fancy you, Nonso Bassey – Battle Ground.
If you know any artist we didn’t mention above, make sure to add them via the comment section and we might consider a revision and inclusion.